Friday, July 23, 2010

Stars & Stripes

I had the brilliant idea to make patriotic cookies for the Fourth of July. I had just received a cookie cutter set that included a cookie cutter for every month. I also experimented with making royal frosting for the first time using gel food coloring.

Making the cookies was a very long, tedious process. When I rolled out the dough, it kept crumbling. When I cut out star, flower and sunburst shapes, the tips would break off. I imagined beautiful red, white and blue icing, and somehow ended up with pink, yellow and blue! I was so disappointed with these cookies when I finished them. I was almost too embarrassed to serve them to my friends at our BBQ. I told Marc about 50 times that I wouldn't be making any more sugar cookies with icing for a very long time.


When I stood back and looked at the stars and stripes all together, I thought, maybe they're not so bad.... hopefully they'll just taste ok.

Turns out... my cookies were a hit! And now, of course, I can't wait to make more! Not too bad for my first try!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

They were great. And you can even ask Barry and Zach as well.